Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Never Change Who You Are! Pop Up card

My one little word for this year is FOCUS....but I think I have several projects going on right now at the studio  LOL.  However,  I am focused on finishing these projects by their deadlines. I simply love to multi-task. :)   The one project that I have been eager to finish is the dragon popup card, shown below.  This card, just completed, was challenging because it was so unlike anything I had done before. I cut up a lot of paper, did a lot of problem-solving and growling, but it was all worth it in the end! Looking at now, I do wish I had added one more surprise element: to  give little King Tobie the gift of moving :) LOL .  The next one will have movement!
 This was not a fast card, not one or two days. This took a week to design and a few days to bring it all together, making sure it would fold and pop the way it should.  It takes time to design the template. Thank heavens for SDE. I was able visualize what I was doing. (Saved some paper :) ). You also have direct access to their online shop, which is full of shapes and many great designs for any project. I grabbed the dragon shape and began to dissect and manipulate him in my template.  I am still learning about popup cards,  but I am confident in that I have the foundation down.  This is very exciting as I adore popup books!  You never know what will happen, what you will see... So much detail and the best part is the surprises that are in store for you ...it is magical! Along the way I ran into a few hiccups with the cameo. Thought I'd shave some time off but to no avail.  I need a longer mat... LOL. As Wilma and Betty once said "Charge it!" LOL

Here is a rundown of the product I used.  All the pieces were shaded with Tim Holtz distress ink.   The digi is from Some Odd Girl -- Pajama King Tobie ...what a cutie! He is a hero in one of my other popup cards.  Such a gallant king!   I adore him :) He makes you want to be a kid all over again! :) I colored him with my Copic Sketch markers.  I just noticed he needs catch lights in his eyes and these I will add with a white gel pen.  The cloud and front shape paper are from Amy Tangerines Sketch Collection. (Have you seen this paper collection? AMAZING!) :) The Solid paper is from Echo Parks Perfect Summer Collection.  I love their solids because they already come distressed and textured.   

Need some paper or Copic markers? Got some in the studio!

The paper for the popup clouds and rocks were created using Bazzill paper. It has a metallic look and texture to it.  Last but not least, I used dimensional dots for some of the elements to give them a popup appearance.



Trust that little voice in your head that says"wouldn't it be interesting if...";and then do it!
~Duane Michals

Hugs
Paola :) 
 

2 comments:

Template designed by Rainy Day