Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Spring is around the corner! :)

some odd girl, mix media, art, clear stamp, purse, stamp, crafting,
Spring is around the corner....YES it is!  I see snow melting and over the weekend we had a change of wind and it felt like spring air.  Albeit..its a little nippy this week but spring is around the corner. Especially in the studio! :)

some odd girl, mix media, art, clear stamp, purse, stamp, crafting,


To welcome spring I've been working on a very special project ...not just for spring but for an entry to the DT call for Some Odd Girl.  The instructions are to send in 3 images displaying work that represent your style.  I do a lot in the studio but one area where I think I do really well.. I think I am good at ..is mix media.
some odd girl, mix media, art, clear stamp, purse, stamp, crafting,
Who am I kidding... I LOVE Mix media and telling a story :) . Give me paper, paint and modge podge and I'll make something! LOL   I  work on art journals, canvases and sometimes even chipboard but I have never altered something that one can use.  This was fun and a bit more of a challenge in a way that it took a bit of planning for it to come together....I was having a hard time committing  to color and the inside of it LOL. After a bit of time I finally took a deep breath and just went with it (that's the trick with mix media, let it go and just let the creativity happen) I started to mix some paint on my Kraft mat, I started to swirled my brush..just play with it...had no idea where I was going with it but I kinda liked it...I made big swirls and little swirls and eventually brought it over to the purse and started with bright white swirls and then I kept swirling blending with the pink to create a gradient of pinks ...I was having lots of fun and soon realized that I was running out of room LOL . How sad! :)   
I also like making cards and other crafts but I need a challenge to keep me interested.  It can't be simple.  I find it takes me longer to create a simple a card then just to let go and doing mix media on a card, but I find the size of a card limits me so I need a larger canvas on which to work on LOL.  I also love to to work with Project life and bring all that I know on to it.  As long as I can be free creatively and not restricted ..I'm good :) Hope that makes sense :) 
Altered Wooden Purse
This gorgeous mix media wooden purse carries 6 scalloped envelopes and 6 lined scalloped notes to send to your friend.  Along with the purse there are two bracelets ( 6 1/2 inches long)...one for each friend.  If you are interested in purchasing this adorable little purse I will be posting it at my Etsy shop Paola's Papers 
some odd girl, mix media, art, clear stamp, purse, stamp, crafting,

 The yummy paper I used to layer was from the Kaiser Craft Tea Party 6x6 paper pad that is available at my Studio ..perfect paper for spring.  The digi stamps are a clear stamp set from Some Odd Girl Gwen in Bloom.  I also stamped the envelopes and notes using the same clear stamp set.  I colored the digis with my Copic markers and used a bit of Spica glitter here and there.  The layers have all been sealed with modge podge including the digis.  You have to take care how you lay the modge down on the digis as not to ruin it.  The type of paper you use helps a great deal.  Use top quality...I use Copic X-press it.   My Silhouette Designer Edition program and Cameo came in handy when I needed to flip the stamps. Here is the link to the tutorial  I wrote on how I did the Stamp/Scan/Print & Cut.  The sides of the purse are layer with rose bud ribbon I purchased at Michaels..I love it! I need more :) I also added bling to the clouds because you have to have bling :) how can you not.  Pink and bling go hand in hand :) 

Last but not least...I want to give a special thank you to Jennifer Wong for coming over to the studio and helping me with my bracelets.  They are LOVELY!  I haven't the slightest clue on how to make jewellery but Jennifer was my hero and saved the project.  She makes it look so easy! :)  Such a talented woman, she is an encyclopedia of how to on crafts...love her brain and of course her personality.  Funny funny gal! Always a treat to hang out with Jennifer.  If you want to see her work and creative talent check out her blog!

Almost forgot :) Wish me luck for the DT call at Some Odd Girl!  :) fingers and toes crossed :) 

I also entered this cute project to the Paper Issues  Tip-toe Through the Tu-lips  theme contest. 

Hugs
Paola :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Template designed by Rainy Day